Creed: “I Believe…”
Reading to Discuss: Dogmatics in Outline (DO): Chapters 1-4
- Why Theology? To believe and proclaim.
- Faith as Trust: It’s a gift from God which hears God’s grace and holds fast to God.
- Faith as Knowledge: Faith seeks to understand. Knowledge of God comes through faith.
- Faith as Confession: The public dimension of faith. Faith is found in and through the Church.
For Further Reflection: How do we know God?
And for the adventurous, here are some relevant sections in Church Dogmatics:
- The Task of Dogmatics: I/1 3-24
- Church Proclamation as the Material of Dogmatics I/1 47-87
- The Knowability of the Word of God I/1 187-247
- The Word of God, Dogma and Dogmatics I/1 248-294
- God in His Revelation I/1 295-347
- God’s Freedom for Man I/2 1-44
- The Mystery of Revelation I/2 122-202
- The Freedom of Man for God I/2 203-279
- The Word of God for the Church I/2 457-537
- Freedom in the Church I/2 661-742
- Dogmatics as a Function of a Hearing Church I/2 797-843
- Dogmatics as a Function of the Teaching Church I/2 844
- The Fulfillment of the Knowledge of God II/1 3-62
- The Knowability of God II/1 63-178
- The Limits of the Knowledge of God II/1 179-256
- The Election of the Community II/2 195-305
- The Election of the Individual II/2 306-508
- The Sanctification of Man IV/2 499-726
- The Vocation of Man IV/3ii 481-680