Topic: God in the Highest, the Father, and the Almighty
Creed: “…in God, the Father almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth …”
Reading to Discuss: Dogmatics in Outline (chapters 5-9)
- Faith in God: The Christian God freely revealed to us is the sole object of our faith.
- The Trinitarian God: God the Father is the source and begetter of the Son and the source of the Holy Spirit.
- God Almighty: God is able to do what he wills, is superior to all other powers, and is not power in itself.
- God the Creator: God does not exist only for Himself but thus created creation of is an act of revelation bound in the triune God.
- Heaven and Earth: The distinction between heaven and earth for humanity—us who dwell on the boundary between heaven and earth—heaven is the creation which is inconceivable whereas the earth is the conceivable.
- Are you more drawn to the intimacy or power of God?
- Is the Christian faith a worldview?
And for the adventurous, here are some relevant sections in Church Dogmatics:
- The Nature of the Word of God I/1 125-186
- The Knowability of the Word of God I/1 187-247
- God in His Revelation I/1 295-347
- God the Father I/1 384-399
- The Time of Revelation I/2 45-121
- The Mystery of Revelation I/2 122-202
- The Election of Jesus Christ II/2 94-194
- Faith in God the Creator III/1 3-41
- Creation and Covenant III/1 42-339
- The Yes of God the Creator III/1 330-
- Man as the Creature of God III/2 55-202
- The Doctrine of Providence, Its Basis and Form III/3 3-57
- God the Father as Lord of His Creature III/3 58-288
- God and Nothingness III/3 289-368
- Ethics as a Task of the Doctrine of Creation III/4 3-46